The question " What Did You See When Your Eyes Were Opened?" is seen as a test by the academy.
Instances of the question.
- Nine asked Jade this question when she came out of her trance at the clinic
- Reginald Gribbs to Jason before claiming he failed his test
- Lara Hodge jokingly asked Jade the question, while parodying Nine
- An unnamed inquisitor asked Mary this question in 1693, while crushing her lover under a pile of rocks.
- Irina sneaked into Nine's clinic, and asked a recovering Fortunato this question.
- While callously stabbing him for leaving him out of his will, Ike asked Abraham an echo of this question.
- Georgina Daramount taunts Fortunato with this question as she blinds him.
- Susan Dagney asks Casey Blevins the question and then describes what Casey saw.
There are also direct references to the question:
- When Chad and Steve have Hunter in the greenhouse, they tell him "When we're done with your sorry ass, your eyes will most definitely be opened" in Morning Glories #8
- "You would not have been willing to do what must be done. Your eyes have not been opened" -Irina to The Truants in Morning Glories #25.
- "You'll start to see, too,once your eyes are opened."-Guillaume to Hisao in Morning Glories #18
- "Your eyes have been opened" -Esi to Hunter in Morning Glories #31.
- "With the Headmaster's help, I saw it--my eyes were opened"-Isabel Traveiso in Morning Glories #48
- Morning Glories #4. November 17, 2010.
- Morning Glories #10. June 8, 2011.
- Morning Glories #5. December 22, 2010.
- Morning Glories #12. September 7, 2011.
- Morning Glories #14. November 16, 2011.
- Morning Glories #22. October 10, 2012.
- Morning Glories #24. February 13, 2013.
- Morning Glories #35. November 27, 2013.
- Morning Glories #49. December 30, 2015.